Tuesday 30 October 2012

Dreaming of Success

When I was 12, I thought I was going to be a doctor, a lawyer, or a teacher. Then, when I was 17, I thought, no way was I going to be a doctor or an engineer, I hated Physics, Additional Maths, and Chemistry. I kind of like Biology.

And then I ended up studying Computer Science, and received my degree, and didn't get to use it to get a good IT job. I hated programming, and I'm convinced that I chose the wrong program.

My parents wanted me to be a teacher, but I did the rebellious thing. I didn't fulfill their dreams. I don't know. Maybe I did the right thing. If I became a teacher, I won't be spending 5 years in KL, and learning to know that I love crafting. I won't be experiencing all the wonderful things I had back in KL. I won't even be here in Kuching right now, I think.

I did taught in a secondary school for about 2 months as a temporary teacher, before I went to KL. I loved it, teaching all those teenagers, aged 13 to 14, but it was quite frustrating too. I pity those kids from rural area; when asked about their ambition, they'd say to become a policeman like their fathers, or to become a teacher. Some of them have never even been to Kuching.

I'm not sure what becomes of them right now, as all of them have finished school. I hope some of them are now in universities, achieving their dreams, and not giving in to temptations and culture shocks. I hope they grew up well and didn't give in to peer pressure.

Back to me, I am nowhere near my ambition. I want to have a successful business. It doesn't have to be huge, but it's good enough if I can support myself and my brother, and still able to support my parents. I really hope the next step I'm taking will be the ultimate stepping stone for my business to catch up. I really need it. I need to prove to those who have been looking down on me, and belittled my ambitions that I can help my family be financially stable.

Most of all, I need to prove to myself that I didn't make the wrong decision of being rebellious, more than 10 years ago. Mom and dad, I hope you'll forgive me, and be able to support me from this day onwards. To my brother Jojo and my friends, Yenny, Sheena and everyone else, thank you for your neverending love and support. I can never repay all of you for everything.

Here's to our tears, sweat and blood, on our way to success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! If you like my posts, kindly subscribe to my blog or follow me on Twitter. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...